Friday, March 1

Quitting and then starting again.

I have decided, its time to say "I Quit", And start all over again with a new goal.
I had started learning python and finished most of the tutorials and then started learning Django. I spent a lot of time on it. I realized it is not that easy for me. I was just going through the tutorials and reading code. I did not succeed not even close to getting a simple app up and running. So I have decided it is time to Quit.

What went wrong?
1) Reading code does not help. It is waste of time. Practicing helps. I was able to learn jQuery by practicing code. I should have known that. But i choose to ignore.

2) Working on a real world problem. Best way to learn is to work on an application from beggining. I have had experiance working with PHP, Mysql. So getting started should not be difficult. My approach should have been:

a. Work on an Application idea.
b. Create a flow.
c. Start with coding from day one.
d. If encounter a problem, google search and try to solve it.
e. Move ahead with coding and finishing the application.
f. In the process learn.

Instead i took a wrong approach, tried learning an entire language, and delayed the process of working on the application.

I now have an application idea. I know php and mysql and jquery and good amount of html/css. But i wish to learn a new programming language. I think i can start working with Ruby on Rails. I have tried the tryruby.com lessons and found it very interesting. I think i will follow that.

Will this approach work?
I don't know. It may or it may not. I have self learned php, mysql, html, css and jquery. I may not know everyting but i am pretty confident i can get a solution by googling. I want to learn a new language. Have failed (read quit) at python. I find RoR interesting, so today I make a promise to my self to learn this language.

I hope i don't quit again. If i do, i have this post to remind me my failures.

I'll keep posting the progress.
Adios and wish me luck..!!!

Be the first one to Comment!!!

  1. You are right practicing is the best way to learn a new coding language. So how is the application coming along?

    ReplyDelete